About Us - History

Monroe County Bank History

The Monroe County Bank was founded on October 15, 1908, by two brothers, William C. Hill and Charner W. Hill, with a capital stock of $25,000.00.

Today, Monroe County Bank remains the oldest locally owned bank in Forsyth and Monroe County. Originally located at 11 West Johnston Street (our name is still in the tile work of that building’s entrance), the bank moved to its current 1 East Main Street location in 1978. The bank later added to the beautification of Downtown Forsyth with the completion of its adjacent Flowering Park.

Recognizing growth opportunities in the southern part of the county, the bank opened its first full service branch in the community of Bolingbroke in October 2002.

Monroe County Bank continues its commitment to the businesses and citizens of Monroe County by offering competitive banking products, local decision-making, and professional service to all of its customers.